COVID-19 and the associated pandemic response have changed the lives of every family in Scotland.
Public Health Scotland developed the COVID-19 Early Years Resilience and Impact Survey (CEYRIS) to find out about the experience, and impact of COVID-19 and the associated restrictions on our young children (2-7 year olds) in Scotland.
We conducted the first round of CEYRIS between 22 June and 6 July 2020. Scotland had just moved to Phase 1 of the recovery ‘route-map’ and the restrictions were changing rapidly.
Key milestones surrounding the launch of CEYRIS:
- 20 March 2020 – schools close
- 23 March 2020 – lockdown began
- 21 May 2020 – Scottish Government announces plans for blended learning
- 29 May 2020 – Scotland moves to Phase 1. Families can meet outdoors with strict physical distancing
- 22 June 2020 – CEYRIS opens
- 23 June 2020 – Scottish Government announces plans to reopen schools full time after the summer. Blended learning remains a back-up plan
- 2 July 2020 – Scottish Government announces that children under 12 years old are not required to physically distance from others in outdoors
- 6 July 2020 – CEYRIS closes
Reports and findings
The response to the survey was very positive with over 11,000 parents and carers of children from all over Scotland responding.
We plan to repeat this survey to help us understand how things are changing for our young children and families as time goes on.
We have published a series of reports presenting the findings from the first round of CEYRIS:
- Background Report – national COVID-19 context, survey methodology, representativeness of the data, demographics of the participants
- Report 1 – Key behaviours in children in Scotland during COVID-19
- Report 2 – Children’s play and learning, use of outdoor spaces and social interactions during COVID-19 in Scotland
- Report 3 – The experience of parents and carers during COVID-19 in Scotland
Report 4 – Overarching report providing in-depth analysis and interpretation of the findings from these first three reports from CEYRIS, will be published later in 2020.